Britain’s busiest motorway has reopened ahead of schedule after drivers faced a 19-mile diversion over the weekend while a new bridge was installed.

The M25 closed in both directions between junctions 9 and 10 in Surrey from 9pm on Friday while concrete beams for a new bridge were installed. 

The motorway was expected to reopen at 6am today, but instead both carriageways were reopened overnight, seven hours ahead of schedule.

National Highways, in a post on X last night, confirmed that the planned works had been completed and the ‘road is now fully open’ with traffic ‘flowing well in both directions’.

The M25 closure was the second of five planned weekend closures which came as part of a £317million project to improve junction 10. 

Britain's busiest motorway has reopened ahead of scheduled after drivers faced a 19-mile diversion over the weekend while a new bridge was installed. Pictured is a view of the roadway around 7pm last night

Britain’s busiest motorway has reopened ahead of scheduled after drivers faced a 19-mile diversion over the weekend while a new bridge was installed. Pictured is a view of the roadway around 7pm last night

The M25 closed in both directions between junctions 9 and 10 in Surrey from 9pm on Friday while concrete beams for a new bridge were installed. Pictured is a photo of the M25 shared by National Highways around 6pm yesterday

The M25 closed in both directions between junctions 9 and 10 in Surrey from 9pm on Friday while concrete beams for a new bridge were installed. Pictured is a photo of the M25 shared by National Highways around 6pm yesterday

Crews installed 72 beams for the M25 East bridge over the weekend, National Highways confirmed. Workers used specialist lifting gear to move the beams into place, some of which weighed 40 tonnes each. The crews lifted a total of 1,248 tonnes of material

Crews installed 72 beams for the M25 East bridge over the weekend, National Highways confirmed. Workers used specialist lifting gear to move the beams into place, some of which weighed 40 tonnes each. The crews lifted a total of 1,248 tonnes of material

Crews installed 72 beams for the M25 East bridge over the weekend, National Highways confirmed last night.

Workers used specialist lifting gear to move the beams into place, some of which weighed 40 tonnes each. The crews lifted a total of 1,248 tonnes of material.

They also installed a gantry that spans the entire width of the carriageway, the highway authority said. 

National Highways, in a post on X last night, confirmed that the planned works had been completed and the 'road is now fully open' with traffic 'flowing well in both directions'

National Highways, in a post on X last night, confirmed that the planned works had been completed and the ‘road is now fully open’ with traffic ‘flowing well in both directions’

See also  Boots staff get bodycams and panic buttons as Rishi Sunak says assaulting shop workers will become a separate criminal offence

National Highways thanked motorists for their ‘patience’ and ‘bearing with us during the work’.

News that the motorway has reopened comes after the highways agency said earlier yesterday that work along the M25 was ‘progressing well’.

Officials had also urged drivers to ‘please follow the official diversion routes to manage traffic flow effectively’.

Surrey Highways reported at about 1.20pm yesterday that there were major delays in West Byfleet along Parvis Road and told drivers to try and avoid the area.

Congestion was also reported in Leatherhead, Oxshott and in surrounding areas of Weybridge, Cobham and Walton On Thames.

But now, according to National Highways, the road is ‘fully open in both directions’, without any traffic issues.

The M25 closure was the second of five planned weekend closures which came as part of a £317million project to improve junction 10. Pictured is a photo of the worksite shared by National Highways around 7am yesterday

The M25 closure was the second of five planned weekend closures which came as part of a £317million project to improve junction 10. Pictured is a photo of the worksite shared by National Highways around 7am yesterday 

National Highways previously urged drivers to 'please follow the official diversion routes to manage traffic flow effectively'. Pictured is a view of the M24 around 10am Sunday

National Highways previously urged drivers to ‘please follow the official diversion routes to manage traffic flow effectively’. Pictured is a view of the M24 around 10am Sunday

News that the motorway has reopened comes after the highways agency said earlier yesterday that work along the M25 was 'progressing well'. Pictured are workers at the site yesterday around noon

News that the motorway has reopened comes after the highways agency said earlier yesterday that work along the M25 was ‘progressing well’. Pictured are workers at the site yesterday around noon

Surrey Highways reported at about 1.20pm yesterday that there were major delays in West Byfleet along Parvis Road and told drivers to try and avoid the area. Pictured is the road around 1.30pm on Sunday

Surrey Highways reported at about 1.20pm yesterday that there were major delays in West Byfleet along Parvis Road and told drivers to try and avoid the area. Pictured is the road around 1.30pm on Sunday

Diversion routes had taken cars on a 19-mile journey on A roads, crossing from Surrey into London's Ulez area, though National Highways assured drivers 'no enforcement action will be taken'. Pictured is the M25 between junction 9 and 10 around 4pm yesterday

Diversion routes had taken cars on a 19-mile journey on A roads, crossing from Surrey into London’s Ulez area, though National Highways assured drivers ‘no enforcement action will be taken’. Pictured is the M25 between junction 9 and 10 around 4pm yesterday

Diversion routes had taken cars on a 19-mile journey on A roads, crossing from Surrey into London’s Ulez area, though National Highways assured drivers ‘no enforcement action will be taken’.

See also  Radio 2 fans vow to stop listening as Paddy McGuinness is given plum Sunday show - after string of major shake-ups at the BBC station sparked mass exodus of listeners

However, the highways authority said anyone who ignored official diversion signs in an attempt to find shorter alternative routes would have been liable for the £12.50 daily Ulez fee if their vehicle does not meet minimum emissions standards. 

Failure to pay the charge when required can result in a £180 fine, reduced to £90 if paid within 14 days.

National Highways previously urged drivers to only travel the route if necessary, to avoid the closure and to complete their journeys in other ways if possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Boris Johnson ally Nigel Adams will stand down as MP with ‘immediate effect’

Boris Johnson ally Nigel Adams will stand down as MP with ‘immediate…

KAROL SIKORA: As a leading cancer doctor, I know Kate may face some difficult side effects from chemotherapy, from tiredness to hair thinning – but there was a revelation in her statement that makes me optimistic she will prevail

By Karol Sikora Published: 11:24 EDT, 23 March 2024 | Updated: 13:42…

Why Pre-marital S*X Is Advisable – Tosin Adekansola

Actress Tosin Adekansola has shared her perspective on the topic of sexual…

$40m Powerball finally claimed after Swan Valley dad from Perth comes forward

Hunt to find $40M Powerball winner is over after forgetful dad finally…